Recipe by KitchenManiac
Always wanted to know how to make a salt baked fish? So did I...tried out quite a few recipes, and loved this one from Donna Hay's "flavours" cookbook. It is essential that your fish is FRESH.
Top Review by Ailsa of New Zealand
Hubby love fish done this way in Italy. I always wanted to try doing it at home. This made the fish so moist. Well sure be making this again. Was so cheap to with the fish from a friend and the salad and herbs from my garden. So easy too.
- 4 small whole fish, such as snapper,gutted (350g-400g each)
- cracked black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 12 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 -5 kg coarse rock salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220C).
- Wash fish and pat dry.
- Sprinkle the inside cavities of the fish well with pepper, lemon juice and the parsley sprigs.
- Spread two baking trays with half the salt.
- Place the fish on the baking trays and cover with the remaining salt.
- Press the salt firmly around the fish and sprinkle a little bit of water.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then allow the fish to rest on the trays for another 5 minutes.
- To serve, remove the salt in large pieces, and place the fish on serving plates.
- Serve with salad and lemon wedge.