Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from the Feb 2008 Real Simple Magazine. A tip from a user on their website, Victoria, "the rice must be made ahead and refrigerated as to be cold when it is used. If it is warm, the rice will absorb oil and be mushy rather than crispy when fried"
- 1 lb frozen peeled and deveined large shrimp
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 4 cups frozen or day old cooked rice (chilled)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (more to taste)
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed and sliced
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the shrimp with 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast the shrimp until bright pink and cooked through, 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the peas and chorizo, if using, and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Make a space in the center of the rice and pour in the eggs, sesame oil, soy sauce, and scallions. Scramble the eggs until set, then stir them into the rice.
- Divide among bowls and serve with the shrimp.