Prep 13 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is a quick and light stir fried version of the Chinese dish that will have you licking your fingers. Posting for the ZWT III.It can be a little messy to eat as the shrimp are cooked with the shells on for best flavor. Recipe is from Sunset June 2007 and it is noted: The different peppercorns add a subtle range of pepper flavor to this dish, but you can stick to just black peppercorns too; simply decrease the total amount to 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 lbs shrimp, shells on
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaf, roughly chopped
- Put peppercorns in a mortar and crush roughly with a pestle. Or put peppercorns in a large resealable plastic bag, spread out on a hard, flat surface, and crush with the bottom of a heavy frying pan or rolling pin.
- Put shrimp, half of the crushed peppercorns, and 1 teaspoons salt in a large bowl and toss to coat shrimp evenly. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large (not nonstick) pot over high heat. Add oil, garlic, remaining crushed peppercorns, and remaining 1 teaspoons salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, until pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cilantro, turn off heat, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
So easy and quick and absolutely delicious!
I was a little nervous about using this much pepper in one place, but my worries were unfounded. These tasted amazing, peppery, but not overwhelmingly so. So much flavor for such simple ingredients, too. The shrimp I buy have tails but no shells (DH doesn't do shell-on shrimp anyhow, not since he tried his sister's shell-on deep fried shrimp a couple years back -- NOT pretty, LOL). I couldn't find all the different types of peppercorns separately, so I just bought a bag of gourmet peppercorn mix that contained all four types. I always keep a bag or two of shrimp in the freezer and I'm always looking for a new way to serve them, so we'll definitely be enjoying these again. Another winner, mi amiga! :) Thanks for posting! Made for The Queens of Cuisine for ZWT6
This is a keeper. It was not overly hot , just right. I halved the recipe as there is just the 2 of us. I always wondered what I was going to do with all the different peppercorns I had lol. Made for Zwt6 for the Xtra hot dishes