Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Crispy and tasty shrimp!
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch Chinese five spice powder
- 6 ounces ice-cold seltzer water
- oil (for frying)
- 1 lb cleaned shrimp
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, salt, peppercorns and five-spice powder.
- Lightly whisk in the seltzer.
- Do not overmix- the batter should be a little lumpy and add shrimp.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375°.
- Fry shrimp until deep golden, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to rack or paper towels.
I also use all cornstarch, but did everything else as stated. It is my families favorite shrimp now. My son even asked for it for his birthday meal instead of going out for seafood.
I used all cornstarch, and just lightly dusted the shrimp, not using the selter. Then I stir fried them, removed them, and put the spice mixture in the oil for 20-30 seconds, and added the shrimp back in to coat in the spices. This tasted VERY much like the shrimp on our local Chinese buffet, which is my husband's favorite dish there. He actually liked this better, because their shrimp is still in the shell, and this had all of the flavor concentrated on the shrimp. Thanks for a wonderful restaurant quality dish that can be easily and quickly made at home!
i learned recipe in culinary school and have not seen it till now...as i remember we used all cornstarch and no flour....i tried it according to your recipe and it was great....