- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch Chinese five spice powder
- 6 ounces ice-cold seltzer water
- oil (for frying)
- 1 lb cleaned shrimp
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, salt, peppercorns and five-spice powder.
- Lightly whisk in the seltzer.
- Do not overmix- the batter should be a little lumpy and add shrimp.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375°.
- Fry shrimp until deep golden, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to rack or paper towels.