Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 1 (2 lb) salmon fillets, skin on, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
- kosher salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Run your finger up and down the center of the salmon feeling for any pin bones.
- Remove any that you find with a needle-nose pliers or tweezers.
- Using a sharp knife, cut across the width of the salmon, dividing it into 4 equal portions.
- Lightly salt the salmon and let it set a couple of minutes (this will help you get crispy skin).
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until the oil is almost smoking.
- Season the salmon with pepper, and rub about 1 ½ tablespoons butter on the skin side of each fillet.
- Add the salmon to the pan, skin side down; to get crispy skin, cook the salmon almost to completion, about 6 minutes.
- Flip the salmon and cook 1-2 minutes or until the flesh side is nicely seared.
- Transfer salmon to a platter and serve.