Recipe by I'mPat
Saw this being made on Luke Nguyen's Vietnam. He suggested you could use mud crab or blue swimmers. Times are estimated (I allowed for cooking in 3 batches) and the use of potato starch makes this gluten free.
- 800 g crabs (live or raw)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- potato starch (for dusting)
- 3 red shallots (finely diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely diced)
- 3 spring onions (scallions cut into 5cm lengths)
- 2 chilies (red long thinly sliced diagonally)
- jasmine rice (to serve)
Salt and Pepper Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper (fine)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the seasoning, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- To prepare your crabs humanely, place them in the freezer for 1 hour or submerge them in an ice bath for 5 minutes.
- Remove the upper shell of the crab, pick off the gills, which look like little fingers and discard.
- Clean the crab under running water and drain.
- Place the crab on its stomach and chop the crab in half with a heavy cleaver.
- Next, divide each half into 4 pieces, chopping each piece after each leg (if your crabs are small cut each half into 2 pieces).
- With the back of the cleaver, gently crack each claw - this makes it easier to extract the meat.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 200C (400F) or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil browns in 5 seconds).
- Dust the crab pieces with potato starch, shaking of any excess.
- Deep fry the crab in batches for 3 minutes, turning over once until golden brown.
- Remove from the wok and drain on kitchen paper.
- Remove the oil, reserving 2 tablespoons and clean the wok.
- Heat the reserved oil in the work, then add the shallots and garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Return the crab to the wok with the spring onion and chilli and add the salt and pepper seasoning to taste.
- Serve with jasmine rice and finger bowls.