Saw this being made on Luke Nguyen's Vietnam. He suggested you could use mud crab or blue swimmers. Times are estimated (I allowed for cooking in 3 batches) and the use of potato starch makes this gluten free.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 800 g crabs (live or raw)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- potato starch (for dusting)
- 3 red shallots (finely diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely diced)
- 3 spring onions (scallions cut into 5cm lengths)
- 2 chilies (red long thinly sliced diagonally)
- jasmine rice (to serve)
Salt and Pepper Seasoning
- 1To make the seasoning, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- 2To prepare your crabs humanely, place them in the freezer for 1 hour or submerge them in an ice bath for 5 minutes.
- 3Remove the upper shell of the crab, pick off the gills, which look like little fingers and discard.
- 4Clean the crab under running water and drain.
- 5Place the crab on its stomach and chop the crab in half with a heavy cleaver.
- 6Next, divide each half into 4 pieces, chopping each piece after each leg (if your crabs are small cut each half into 2 pieces).
- 7With the back of the cleaver, gently crack each claw - this makes it easier to extract the meat.
- 8Heat the oil in a wok to 200C (400F) or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil browns in 5 seconds).
- 9Dust the crab pieces with potato starch, shaking of any excess.
- 10Deep fry the crab in batches for 3 minutes, turning over once until golden brown.
- 11Remove from the wok and drain on kitchen paper.
- 12Remove the oil, reserving 2 tablespoons and clean the wok.
- 13Heat the reserved oil in the work, then add the shallots and garlic and fry until fragrant.
- 14Return the crab to the wok with the spring onion and chilli and add the salt and pepper seasoning to taste.
- 15Serve with jasmine rice and finger bowls.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salt and Pepper Red Crab (Cua Rang Muoi)
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 156.0 mg
- Sodium 2333.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 37.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: