Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my mom's recipe for a traditional Eastern European nonsweet kugel - or "kigel" which is how my her side of the family pronounced it. (I didn't know kugels could be sweet until I was a teen.) It's easy comfort food.
- 5 1⁄2 cups cooked egg noodles
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon schmaltz or 1 tablespoon margarine
- salt (if using margarine, you may replace the salt with some powdered chicken soup to add more flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Put in greased or Pam'd 13 inch square pan.
- Bake about 1 hour or until set.
I was in a comfort food state of mind last night and threw this together very quickly. I used butter because we were having a dairy meal, it was delicious! I added some vegetarian chicken soup powder and used very broad noodles. Yum! BTW, in our house it's never kigel, always kugel. But either way, Jewish comfort food for me!