A multicoloured array of peppercorns and chillies ground together adds fire to these deep-fried Spanish shrimp scented with ginger and garlic.
- 1 lb raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and intestinal threads removed
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 bunch scallion, cut into 1 1/2in pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely shredded
- 2⁄3 ounce sea salt, plus extra for soaking
- 2⁄3 ounce ground mixed peppercorns, and
- chile, such as black pepper, green pepper, chilli powder, cayenne pepper and szechuan pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Soak the shrimp in a large bowl of salty cold water for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and pat the prawns dry with paper towels.
- Heat a generous quantity of vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 350F then fry the shrimp for just 20 seconds, working in batches if necessary. Drain on paper towels.
- Lightly coat a wok with some oil and stir-fry the scallions, garlic and ginger.
- Add the deep-fried shrimp and the salt and pepper. Stir-fry for 20 seconds and serve hot with chopped cilantro sprinkled on top.
I was in two minds about this one, 4 stars or 5... in the end it gets 4 stars because the mix of fresh ginger, pepper, cilantro/coriander and garlic were just devine and at certain points the chili powder/cayenne were a little too intrusive for our tastes. I put ours into bowls and the seasoning mix went a little to the bottom of the bowl so although it was mixed well at first there was a big difference in flavour of the shrimp at the top and the bottom. I would definiately make this again but with less chili powder. Please see my rating system: 4 excellent stars for a recipe that I will be delighted to tweek to make into a 5 star one for our tastes. Thanks!