Recipe by threeovens
Crispy chicken wings, flavored with toasted salt and pepper, garlic, and hot peppers. The recipe calls for dried Sichuan peppercorns, but use whatever you have.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried szechuan peppercorns
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄4 lbs chicken wings, separated at joint wings discarded
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and toast salt and peppercorns (the salt will be slightly browned and the peppercorns, fragrant), about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool; grind.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper with the flour and dredge the chicken pieces in it.
- Deep fry the chicken at 350 degrees F, in batches, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes; drain on paper toweling and season with salt and pepper mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the frying oil in the first skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the serrano chili and cook until tender crisp, about 2 minutes; sprinkle over the fried chicken along with any remaining salt and pepper mixture.