Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Crispy chicken wings, flavored with toasted salt and pepper, garlic, and hot peppers. The recipe calls for dried Sichuan peppercorns, but use whatever you have.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried szechuan peppercorns
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄4 lbs chicken wings, separated at joint wings discarded
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili, thinly sliced
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and toast salt and peppercorns (the salt will be slightly browned and the peppercorns, fragrant), about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool; grind.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper with the flour and dredge the chicken pieces in it.
- Deep fry the chicken at 350 degrees F, in batches, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes; drain on paper toweling and season with salt and pepper mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the frying oil in the first skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the serrano chili and cook until tender crisp, about 2 minutes; sprinkle over the fried chicken along with any remaining salt and pepper mixture.