Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Life's Ambrosia.
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄4 lb squid ring, thawed if frozen
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan or pot over medium high heat.
- Place egg whites in one bowl, whisk slightly. In another bowl mix together cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper.
- Dip calamari rings into egg, then place in cornstarch mixture and toss to coat. Shake any excess off.
- Once oil reaches 375 degrees, begin frying calamari. You may need to do this in batches, be careful not to over crowd the pan or the calamari will stick together. Fry calamari for 2 minutes, do not over cook or it will become tough. Using a slotted spoon transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with a little more kosher salt, if desired. Serve.
- Be sure to serve some Sweet Thai Chili Sauce on the side for dipping.