Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of our favourite dishes. It can also be made with prawns in the same manner.
- 500 g squid rings
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 200 g fresh breadcrumbs or 200 g dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon szechwan pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius. (not sure why).
- Lightly dust calamari with flour shaking off any excess. Then dip in to the combined egg and milk.
- Combine breadcrumbs, sea salt and peppers in a shallow bowl, and coat calamari in this mixture.
- Transfer to a plate and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in saucepan and deep-fry calamari in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with some sweet chilli sauce.
My thought on preheating the oven is for holding the calamari hot until it is all prepared; although @ 300 F I'd be careful to not let them sit in the oven for too long!
Thank you for finally giving me a recipe for one of my all time favourite dishes, that not only comes out as it should, but tastes DEVINE!!