Recipe by Missy Wombat
From the collection of Mr Falafel at the alt.food.vegan newsgroup... Times are guesses and do not include waiting for the gluten to cool.
Top Review by collector
loved the texture! good ingred. However I added some additional spices;bay leaf (1 ground)1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of corriander...next time I'll put it casings and fool them all!!!
- 10 tablespoons vegetable broth, heated and still very warm
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup textured soy protein granules (tvp)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 lb medium firm tofu, mashed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pure gluten, powder (vital wheat gluten)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the broth with the wine, tomato paste and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Stir in the textured soy protein granules and allow to soak for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and seasonings.
- The gluten powder should not be added until the mixture is cool (otherwise it creates'strings').
- To speed this up, you can spread the mixture out on a plate to cool in the refrigerator.
- When the mixture is cool, add the gluten powder and mix well with your hands.
- Press firmly into 10 thin patties or 14-20 firm links.
- Steam on a plate or steam basket (with little holes) over simmering water for 20 minutes.
- These can now be browned right away or refrigerated/frozen for later.
- To brown, use a non-stick skillet with a little olive oil or brush all the sides with a little olive oil and grill on both sides.