Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the collection of Mr Falafel at the alt.food.vegan newsgroup... Times are guesses and do not include waiting for the gluten to cool.
- 10 tablespoons vegetable broth, heated and still very warm
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup textured soy protein granules (tvp)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 lb medium firm tofu, mashed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pure gluten, powder (vital wheat gluten)
- Mix the broth with the wine, tomato paste and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Stir in the textured soy protein granules and allow to soak for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and seasonings.
- The gluten powder should not be added until the mixture is cool (otherwise it creates'strings').
- To speed this up, you can spread the mixture out on a plate to cool in the refrigerator.
- When the mixture is cool, add the gluten powder and mix well with your hands.
- Press firmly into 10 thin patties or 14-20 firm links.
- Steam on a plate or steam basket (with little holes) over simmering water for 20 minutes.
- These can now be browned right away or refrigerated/frozen for later.
- To brown, use a non-stick skillet with a little olive oil or brush all the sides with a little olive oil and grill on both sides.
loved the texture! good ingred. However I added some additional spices;bay leaf (1 ground)1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of corriander...next time I'll put it casings and fool them all!!!