1/30 Photos of Salsa With Zucchini With a Hint of Lime
1 hr 20 mins
This is spicy and thick. No one will know there are 6 cups of shredded zucchini in this! A great filler and way to use all the extra garden grown zukes! Use a mixture of tomatoes from green to ripe but not over ripe or bruised. Remove the skin by dipping tomatoes into boiling water for 30-60 seconds or until skins split. Check this http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=223941 forum for peeling tomatotes. Here is step x step pictures http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=4073734 and directions on making this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups peeled peeled and diced tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini (6 cups shredded)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups diced sweet onions
- 3 yellow hot banana peppers or 3 jalapenos
- 1 -2 habanero, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar, 5% acid
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1Place tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl to catch all the juices.
- 2Very lightly oil a large heavy bottom pot, add shredded zucchini and 1/2 teaspooon salt, saute to release juices and reduce the liquid. Add the tomato juice to the reduced zucchini and cook for 10 minutes or till most liquid is gone.
- 3Add onions, all the peppers and chili`s, garlic, tomatoes, spices, salt, black pepper, sugar, lime juice and zest, vinegar, and paste.
- 4Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. Stir in fresh basil or cilantro.
- 5Fill into hot sterile jars with hot salsa leaving 1/2 inch head space. Being careful not to leave any salsa on the rims. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp paper towel. Put on lids and screw on metal bands.
- 6Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- 7Label and store in a dark place. Use with 1 year.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salsa With Zucchini With a Hint of Lime
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 24.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 87.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo