Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is spicy and thick. No one will know there are 6 cups of shredded zucchini in this! A great filler and way to use all the extra garden grown zukes! Use a mixture of tomatoes from green to ripe but not over ripe or bruised. Remove the skin by dipping tomatoes into boiling water for 30-60 seconds or until skins split. Check this http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=223941 forum for peeling tomatotes. Here is step x step pictures http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=4073734 and directions on making this.
- 1892.72 ml peeled peeled and diced tomatoes
- olive oil
- 680.38 g zucchini (6 cups shredded)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 946.36 ml diced sweet onions
- 3 yellow hot banana peppers or 3 jalapenos
- 1-2 habanero, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml dried parsley
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground black pepper
- 78.07 ml light brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 354.88 ml vinegar, 5% acid
- 340.19 g tomato paste
- 14.79 ml fresh basil or 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, minced
- Place tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl to catch all the juices.
- Very lightly oil a large heavy bottom pot, add shredded zucchini and 1/2 teaspooon salt, saute to release juices and reduce the liquid. Add the tomato juice to the reduced zucchini and cook for 10 minutes or till most liquid is gone.
- Add onions, all the peppers and chili`s, garlic, tomatoes, spices, salt, black pepper, sugar, lime juice and zest, vinegar, and paste.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. Stir in fresh basil or cilantro.
- Fill into hot sterile jars with hot salsa leaving 1/2 inch head space. Being careful not to leave any salsa on the rims. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp paper towel. Put on lids and screw on metal bands.
- Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- Label and store in a dark place. Use with 1 year.
Great recipe thankyou. Great for using up green tomatoes too. I think this would also double as a pasta sauce :)