Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a raw salsa. Yes a raw Purple salsa. Mexico meets Japan in this recipe. Shiso (also known as perilla), is a member of the mint family with broad jagged edged leaves. A touch of red wine can be used if you can't get the red shisho which adds a cool color to the salsa.
- 8 ounces purple tomatillos, husked
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 -2 serrano chili
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed roughly chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup red shiso, rough chopped
- sea salt
- Thoroughly wash the bitter film off the tomatillos with warm almost hot water then quarter each of them.
- Place all in a food processor and pulse till semi chunky.