Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A yummy alternative to traditional meatloaf. I serve this with refried beans and Mexican rice. It's like having a burrito but less messy. You can top with sour cream or guacamole if desired.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 97% fat free ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup green tomatillo salsa
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup Cotija cheese (or other Mexican cheese, Cotija is a crumbly cheese with a distinct flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine Ground Beef with eggs and a good amount of the Salsa. Start at about ½ a cup and add more as desired. Add green chiles & olives. Add about a teaspoon each of spices or more if desired. Add enough bread crumbs until meat mixture sticks together. Crumble in cheese as desired.
- Grease pan as desired, form loaf in pan. Bake at 350 for 45 mins, and then check for doneness. Depending on your oven and how you shape the loaf this could take another 15-20 minutes.
I used 1 lb ground moose meat, 1 cup homemade tomatillo salsa, 1 cup sliced black olives and 1 cup breadcrumbs. I didn't have an egg so I substitued with 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp water. My substitute book advised asiago for the mexican cheese. I skipped the spices as I had doctored up my salsa with green chilies and spice already. After cooking the meatloaf I iced it with more tomatillo salsa. Very good
This is pretty tasty and very flavorful. I went a little conservative and didn't add the cotija cheese, but next time I will. I think you could sub feta cheese. Was moist and so good as a sandwich.