Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This sauce from the Lombardy region of Italy is a fantastic companion to meat. A dollop on top is all you need! I also mix this with plain pasta as a variation on basil pesto. There are a number of different ways to do this. Optional basil and mint or dijon mustard or parmesan cheese can be added, but here's the basic recipe.
- 236.59 ml fresh parsley, leaves only
- 59.14 ml pine nuts
- 29.58 ml capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 anchovy fillets
- red wine vinegar, to taste
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 236.59 ml basil leaves (optional)
- 118.29 ml mint leaf (optional)
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard (optional)
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese (optional)
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender or with pestle and mortar.
- Leaving it to stand for a while allows the flavors to develop.
- Mix with pasta or place a dollop on meat or fish.
Clean, sharp and robust flavored sauce. I used all the optional ingredients and therefor increased the olive oil. We used this sauce on grilled salmon and what was leftover I added to cooked pasta...both were excellent!! The sauce keeps well for several days in the fridge.