Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Green sauce to serve with enchilladas, tacos, etc. Great with chicken or turkey enchilladas.
Make and share this Salsa Verde - Green Tomatillo Sauce for Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oil in saucepan and stir in onion and almonds.
- Cook until onion is soft and almonds and lightly browned.
- Simmer tomatillos in chicken broth until soft if using fresh ones. Drain canned tomatillos.
- Whirl tomatillos with liquid in blender or food processor until fairly smooth Add to onions; stir in cilantro and chilis.
- Add chicken broth and simmer rapidly, until reduced to 2 1/2 cups
This recipe was easy and tasty, I substituted vegetable broth for the chicken broth. I wasn't sure about the size of the can of chiles, so I used 2 smaller 8 oz cans. I think my sauce could also have used more tomatillos. I used this as a sauce for fish enchiladas with Cotija cheese and it came out nicely!
*Yummers*! This was so easy and tasted delish with chicken enchiladas. I added 2 Tbls of minced garlic in lieu of the almonds and made the rest of the recipe to the "T". This has great flavor with the fresh cilantro and onion. Was just enough for 2 9x13 casserole sized pans for my chicken enchiladas. Thanks for sharing such an easy and tasty dish! (Made for Tex-Mex Photo Challenge ;) ) ~V