1 hr 10 mins
Sooz Cooks's Note:
The lime juice really helps to perk up the flavor of these mild enchiladas. If you want them to be spicier you can serve them with hot sauce or chopped jalapenos on the side. Or if you can find it, you can use the Herdez brand salsa verde hot instead of mild. The recipe originated from Good Housekeeping magazine, but I have made changes to suit my family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked chicken, coarsely shredded
- 2 (16 ounce) jars salsa verde (such as Herdez brand)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 16 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces sour cream (reduced-fat)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, coarsely shredded
- lime wedge (garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place chicken in a medium bowl. Stir 1 cup salsa verde into chicken to evenly coat. Stir in garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste.
- 3Grease a 13" by 9" glass or ceramic baking dish and set aside.
- 4In 12-inch skillet, heat remaining salsa verde and lime juice to boiling on medium-high. Boil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro; keep warm over very low heat.
- 5With tongs, place 1 tortilla in salsa verde mixture; heat 10 seconds. Place tortilla on waxed paper; top with about 1/3 cup shredded-chicken mixture. Roll up tortilla and place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture, arranging 12 tortillas in the dish.
- 6Stir sour cream and broth into remaining salsa verde mixture in skillet; spoon over filled tortillas. Cover baking dish with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
- 7Serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salsa Verde Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.6
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 79.2 mg
- Sodium 1087.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 26.0 g