Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love this recipe, and I love Ball's new Big Book of Canning, where this has been hidden! I have used half the peppers called for, and the full amount called for in another batch, both are yummy! I omit the cilantro per the request of my husband, who seems to be able to find the smallest amount! Lovely, tart recipe.
- 1301.24 ml chopped husked tomatillos
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml chopped hot pepper
- 118.29 ml white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 29.58 ml finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a large stainless saucepan combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- At this point I puree half the batch (I use an immersion blender).
- Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims, center lids and screw on band to fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner, cover and bring canner to a boil.
- Process for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid of canner and let jars sit for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove jars, cool, label and store.
- I get 2 full and 1 half pint from this recipe.
Very good. Have used different types of peppers (mixed hot and sweet). Favorite so far !