Recipe by Dib's
I love this recipe, and I love Ball's new Big Book of Canning, where this has been hidden! I have used half the peppers called for, and the full amount called for in another batch, both are yummy! I omit the cilantro per the request of my husband, who seems to be able to find the smallest amount! Lovely, tart recipe.
- 5 1⁄2 cups chopped husked tomatillos
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped hot pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a large stainless saucepan combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- At this point I puree half the batch (I use an immersion blender).
- Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims, center lids and screw on band to fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner, cover and bring canner to a boil.
- Process for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid of canner and let jars sit for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove jars, cool, label and store.
- I get 2 full and 1 half pint from this recipe.