1/1 Photo of Salsa Verde Braised Pork
3 hrs 40 mins
Braising the pork makes this very tender. Recipe is from Sunset Magazine Feb. 2008. Also includes directions for crockpot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim excess pork fat. Put meat in a large casserole or Dutch oven with salsa, onion, broth, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced, about 3 hours.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°. With 2 wide spatulas, transfer meat to a rimmed baking pan. Bake until richly browned, 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, skim and discard fat from pan juices. Boil juices, stirring, until reduced to 2 3/4 cups, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4With 2 forks, tear meat into large shreds. Add to pan and stir in chopped cilantro. Season with salt. Spoon into a serving bowl and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with tortillas and more salsa verde.
- 5Slow-cooker Salsa Verde Pork: Put trimmed pork in a slow cooker (5 to 6 qt.) and turn heat to high. In a pan, bring salsa, onion, broth, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and oregano to a boil. Pour over pork, cover, and cook until meat is very tender when pierced and registers at least 165° on an instant-read thermometer, at least 7 or up to 9 hours. Continue recipe with step 2, using a large pot for step 3.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salsa Verde Braised Pork
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 693.7
- Calories from Fat 448
- Total Fat 49.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 187.8 mg
- Sodium 785.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 48.3 g