Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in my local paper. It is by Agustin Gaytan. The recipe sounds fairly simple and yummy!
- 15 large tomatillos, husks removed and washed
- 2 -3 serrano chilies or 1 jalapeno
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 small white onion, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- Pierce chiles with a fork.
- Cook chiles, tomatillos, garlic and onion on a griddle over medium-high heat, turning them until softened and somewhat blackened in spots - about 8 mins for garlic and chiles and 12 mins for tomatillos and onion.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool, then peel garlic, onion and chiles.
- In a blender, combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, chiles, tomatillos and salt.
- Blend until smooth.