Recipe by PaulaG
I found this recipe on line and then proceed to loose it. I made it last night and wanted to post it before I forgot what I did. It is a nice spicy stuffed pepper dish. This dish also makes a nice make ahead meal. Please see note below.
Top Review by Mom2Rose
Aussie Recipe Swap #88: Delicious! Such a unique twist on the traditional stuffed peppers and made healthier with the use of ground turkey too! I am looking forward to making this dish again!
- 4 large red bell peppers, cut in half, ribs and seeds removed
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups cooked rice (Leftover rice works well in this recipe.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 -2 cup salsa
- cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place prepared peppers in a casserole dish and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until crisp tender.
- While peppers are roasting, crumble the ground turkey into large pan and cook over medium high heat until browned and cooked through. Add in onion and cook until tender.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, rice, beans, corn and salsa. Remove peppers from oven and allow to cool enough to handle. Scoop the turkey mixture into the cooked peppers. Any leftover filling can be scooped around the peppers. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. Top with grated cheese and return to oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.
- Serve with a nice tossed salad for a complete meal.
- Note: The peppers can be stuffed earlier in the day and refrigerated then the final cooking can be done later. They also freeze well. After filling, place in oven proof freezer container, wrap in foil and freeze. When ready to cook, defrost in refrigerator and place in a preheated oven and bake as directed.