Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good mexican variation of the normal stuffed green peppers. When red bell peppers are on sale..stock up and try this out! :)
- 3 large red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice (I prefer mexican or spanish rice)
- 1 cup cooked chicken (spice up the chicken with taco seasonings)
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick spray.Set aside.
- Place bell pepper in a small dish, cut side up.
- Add about 1/4" of water to pan, cover, and microwave on high until peppers begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Don't overcook.
- Remove pan, turn peppers upside down and shake out excess water.
- Place peppers cut side up in the prepared pan.
- Stir the spice blend ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Stir the filling ingredients together in another bowl.
- Add the mixed spiced ingredients to the mixed filling ingredients and stir well.
- Mound the filling in the peppers, pressing down lightly and rounding the top.
- Bake, uncovered, until filling is hot and peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir the sauce ingredients together. Drizzle over hot peppers when done.
- Note: Spice up your rice and chicken before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. Otherwise,it will be kind of bland. I prefer this dish with spanish or mexican rice. For the chicken, I cook it with taco seasonings from a pouch before assembling this dish.