Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This "adult" version from April 1999 Chatelaine is the ONLY mac 'n cheese for my family. Use mild, medium or hot salsa - with or without cayenne, depending on how much heat you like!! Just add a side salad for a nutritious dinner.
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 3 cups milk (low fat OK)
- 125 g light cream cheese
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup buttered bread crumb (optional)
- Following the package directions, cook macaroni in boiling water for the MINIMUM cooking time- usually 7 minutes.
- Drain& rinse with cold running water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain well& place in an ungreased baking dish large enough to hold 8 cups.
- Meanwhile, pour milk into a large saucepan, over medium heat until milk is steaming hot.
- Do NOT boil.
- Cut cream cheese into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Combine grated cheddar& flour in a small bowl.
- As soon as the milk is hot, stir in cream cheese cubes until they melt.
- Continuing to stir, gradually sprinkle in the cheddar/flour mixture, then the parmesan, mustard, salt, paprika& cayenne.
- Stirring frequently, cook until cheeses melt& sauce is smooth (about 3 or 4 more minutes).
- Pour sauce over cooked macaroni& stir until coated.
- Fold in salsa& green onions just until evenly distributed.
- Smooth top.
- Cover& bake in the center of a preheated 350F oven until hot& bubbly, about 30- 35 minutes.
- For extra crunch, uncover& sprinkle with buttered breadcrumbs during the last 10 minutes of baking time.
- TIP: Whirl 2 or 3 bread slices in food processor until crumbs form; add 1 tbsp melted butter& whirl until crumbs are coated.
Great recipe for those days when you don't want just plain old mac & cheese again. The salsa and spices really add an interesting kick.
This was really good. I made this for my husband and his friends for hockey night and it was loved by all. I will make it again for sure.
What a great easy meal. My 3 year old ate two bowls full!! Added slightly more mustard than stated but we just loved the flavour it gave to the dish. I had a handful of crushed corn chips in my freezer so added that to the breadcrumb mix and it gave it such a nice crunchy topping. Thank you for this, it will be a regular for us.