Recipe by saga_30311
This really easy recipe is a slight modification of the Salsa Chicken and Rice recipe - replacing the chicken with polska kielbasa or Smoked Sausage. It's got a wonderfully sweet, smoky and spicy flavor. It's my mom's variation
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise into strips
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb polska kielbasa, cut into 1-2-inch chunks
- 2 (16 ounce) jars salsa (choose your favorite level of heat, I used medium and mild)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine rice and water into 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Cover rice with sliced onions and sausage.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, adjusting to taste.
- Pour salsa mixture over sausage, onion and rice mixture, covering evenly.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil, and bake for about an hour, until all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked completely.
- Stir to mix salsa and rice before serving.