Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a fresh and delicious salad for lunch or a smaller version before supper. My DS and DIL omit the lettuce and use it as a side dish with grilled meats. I've brought it in a big bowl to parties and everyone raves.
- romaine lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cooked black beans or 1 cup black-eyed peas (drain and rinse if using canned)
- 1 bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 ears corn, cut off the cob
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- your favorite vinaigrette (use your own recipe, or try Paul Newman's Family Recipe version, which is really mild and works well)
- red pepper flakes
- crushed tortilla chips (we use Red Hot Blues)
- cooked chicken or beef, would be delicious on this salad for a nice summer main dish (optional)
- Place lettuce on salad plates.
- Layer remaining ingredients on top of lettuce in the order given with the crushed chips on top.
Great salad I served last night with mexican corn on the cob. Simple but great salad that I topped with left over chicken. Made for ZWT 3!
Lovely and different salad. Really like the use of fresh uncooked corn in it. I didn't layer it as it was for a large group - just mixed it all up. I liked that all the ingrediants can be made up ahead of time and then just before serving add the cilantro, tortilla chips, romaine and dressing. Next time I'm asked to bring along a salad - this will be the one I take.
Geema, you did it again. This is by far one of the tastiest salads I have ever have the pleaseure of enjoying! It was easy to make and all the different flavors were a treat to my taste buds. I used the Paul Newmans dressing and it was a hugge hit at my house.