This is my sister-in-law's red salsa recipe. She uses it to make her wonderful chicken enchiladas, but it's excellent for other uses as well. She is from Mexico City, and her Mexican cooking is always outstanding. We love to visit because every meal in her home is a feast!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the whole tomatoes in a saucepan with the peppers; cover with water and bring to a boil.
- 2Simmer gently until the tomatoes are fairly soft but not falling apart - about 5 minutes.
- 3Drain, but reserve 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid.
- 4Mix the bouillon into the 1/3 cup reserved cooking liquid and pour into the jar of a blender.
- 5Add garlic; blend until the garlic is finely dispersed throughout the liquid.
- 6Add the tomatoes and peppers to the blender jar, and blend for a few seconds. Do not over blend. It should have a rough texture.
- 7Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a sauce pan.
- 8Add the chopped onion and saute a couple of minutes.
- 9Add the sauce from the blender.
- 10Cook on high heat, stirring from time to time scraping the bottom of the pan until the sauce is reduced - about 6 - 8 minutes.
- 11Taste, and add salt if necessary.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salsa Roja Mexicana
Serving Size: 1 (1292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.0
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 84.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g