Recipe by MRFNM
I recently saw this on a "Baking with Julia Child" episode. The guest was Lora Brody. I have not tried it yet, but it looked delicious. I searched the internet to find the recipe and noticed that most of them posted are short 1 cup of flour. Glad to have TIVO! When I make it, I intend to mix taco meat with the cream cheese and to serve it with lettuce, tomato, and onions. This recipe is the vegetarian version.
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 tablespoon taos red chili honey
- 1⁄4 cup red chili oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups chunky salsa, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients into bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Start on "dough" setting.
- When complete, roll dough on a floured surface.
- Line pizza pan or spring form pan with dough.
- Spread cream cheese on dough.
- Then drained salsa.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Let dough rise for 20 to 40 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 475 for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Quick note: They stated on the show that you could use 3 cups of any type of flour. What is listed is just what she happened to use. (Actually it was 1 C of "white wheat" but recipezaar did not recognize that ingredient.) Also, she said you could substitute regular honey or brown sugar for the chili honey if you do not have it on hand or cannot find it. She said she also makes dinner rolls out of this instead of making the "quitza". Since I have not made it yet, I am guessing on the servings and estimating the time to make.