Recipe by cookiedog
This winning recipe in El Restaurante Mexicano's 2007 Sassiest Salsa Contest is a traditional Mexican salsa made with Red Pack Tomatoes, pasilla peppers, chiles de arbol, garlic, onion and a dash of cumin.
- 3 canned tomatoes, from a 14 . 5-oz can of redpack whole peeled tomatoes with juice (drained)
- 4 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1⁄2 medium onion, roasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 dried pasilla peppers
- 4 chiles de arbol
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash fresh black pepper
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse peppers under cold water.
- In skillet (medium heat) heat chilies, turning occasionally.
- You will start smelling their roasted aroma.
- Be careful not to burn them.
- It will take approximately 3 minutes.
- Put chilies into a bowl; cover with hot water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain chilies thoroughly.
- Remove most seeds, leaving in a few (approximately 15).
- Put chilies in blender and blend with remaining ingredients.
- Serve with totopos (chips).
- Also works great with pork, beef tenderloin and lamb.