Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another variation for potato skin lovers! We recommend trying it as written before giving into the temptation to change it around...You wont be disappointed! I like serving this side dish with meatloaf and a tossed salad!
- 4 large russet potatoes, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (10 ounce) jar salsa, chunky style (low-sodium preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped (scallions)
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Pierce the potatoes; zap them in your microwave on high for 10-15 min turning every 5 min (time may vary, more or less, based on your microwave's wattage).
- Cool, then cut in half cross-wise and then cut each half, in half again in the other direction.
- Scoop out the pulp, leaving a ¼ inch shell; save the pulp to use another time in another recipe.
- Preheat the your oven to 500°F; Place the potatoes, skin side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the potato skins, inside and out with the melted butter; Bake skins until crisp and browned (approx. 12 min).
- Preheat your broiler; combine the salsa and the green onions and set aside.
- Sprinkle the potato skins with the cheeses and broil until bubbly, approximately 2 minute.
- Place the skins on a serving platter and spread the salsa mixture evenly amongst the skins.
- Serve immediately, perhaps with a dollop of sour cream on top?