Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I was looking for a fresh new idea for something to eat while on the South Beach Diet... So I tried poaching an egg in a pan of Salsa. While still hot I placed it on a tossed salad, added a little cheddar cheese and poured light ranch dressing around the edges of the salad. Tastes delicious! My recipe below is for one person but you can easily make it for more people.
- 1 egg
- cooking spray
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 shredded cheddar cheese (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon light ranch salad dressing (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup spinach
- 1⁄2 iceberg lettuce
- 5 baby carrots
- Spray pan with Cooking Spray (quick clean up with a non-stick pan).
- Add 1 cup Salsa (adjust amount to your preference) and heat until it's hot and bubbly. Stir and push mix into the center of the pan making a well for the egg.
- Carefully drop 1 egg into the well of salsa - don't break the yolk. Cover with a lid and cook over medium heat until the yolk is hardened to a soft consistency (no longer runny but not too hard either).
- Sprinkle Egg with pepper and a dash of salt.
- While still hot remove Egg and salsa from the pan and place on top of greens, adding more salsa if desired.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and pour some Light Ranch Dressing on the greens around the outside edges of the salad. Enjoy!