Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Courtesy of Taste of the South. Posted for safekeeping. Sounds delish!
- 1 (20 1/2 ounce) can refried beans (I like them with jalapenos added)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- sour cream
- fresh diced tomato
- finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350f and lightly grease a deep-dish pie plate.
- Spread beans in the bottom of pie plate and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine water, milk, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in grits.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese until melted.
- Mix in salsa and pour over beans in pie plate.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the grits are firm and brown around the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, chopped tomatoes and cilantro if desired.
- Serve with corn chips for dipping.