Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup garlic paste
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 de arbol chilies or 4 guajillo chilies, crushed
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
- Cool. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Can be served cold or hot.
- Refrigerate up to 1 week.
This recipe is pulled directly from the El Charro cookbook, published in 1998. It contains the ingredients used in their salsa, but the conversion of the recipe from their restaurant numbers, to this one is all wrong. Seriously, 1/2 cup oil for 32 oz of salsa? If you make this recipe as-is (I did when I first got the book, because I always make a recipe as written whether it looks right or not), you will wind up with the nastiest tub of slop you can imagine. I did figure it out, by testing and heading to El Charro to taste, and testing again. I'll publish it under my own account later.