Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is seriously the best salsa ever. It is especially excellent with grilled chicken marinated with lime/apple juice. But really, it's great with anything. We also dipped apple slices in it, and it's good with tortilla chips too. One of the best cullinary experiments I've ever randomly come up with. It has a complex sweet-hot-tangy flavour that will absolutely rock your world. It did mine.
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 large hot hungarian pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 prickly pear
- 1 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves (elephant ear)
- 2 gala apples
- 4 fluid ounces lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- sea salt
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- celery salt
- fennel seed
- dill weed
- Remove seeds (discard) from and finely chop the chile pepper, red bell pepper, and orange bell pepper. Add to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Finely chop the garlic, prickly pear (handle carefully, and remove spines if they're present), and red onion. Add to pepper mixture.
- Remove pomegranete seeds and add them to the mixture.
- Add crushed pineapple and juice, lime juice, and applesauce. Mix well.
- Core and finely chop the gala apples, transferring them quickly to the salsa mixture to prevent oxidation.
- Add spices to taste.
- Mix heavily for a few minutes, then warm the mixture in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- Allow to sit in the refrigerator for about an hour to bring out flavours.
- Serve cold on basically -- anything. It's really quite the cullinary symphony!