Recipe by sctdvdltl
Salsa for those who dislike fresh cilantro. Easy cheap, healthy and available in your pantry.
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with juices (this is best if mixed with fresh tomatoes)
- 3 jalapenos (fresh or substitute bell pepper, Serrano, Anaheim, etc.)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed (ground or toasted and crushed)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed (ground or toasted and crushed)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne (Optional is used for color and heat. You could also use with chipotle powder or smoked paprika inste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pepper sauce (Yucatan- habeneros, carrots, lime, spices, vinegar, water OR use just lime juice as needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop jalepenos, garlic and onions and combine in a bowl.
- Add tomatoes and juice to bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl.
- Add olive oil to bowl and toss all ingredients.
- Drizzle water over bowl until salsa reaches a desired consistency.
- Add salt (and optional fresh ground black pepper) to taste.
- Add (optional sugar) to balance acidity.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.