Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great idea for christmas gifts. I am always searching for new gift ideas and this one caught my eye. Can't remember where I got it but I found it in my notes on my desk.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 cup dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to your own taste)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Blend well.
- Put into a 1-pint jar.
- Put the following instructions on a gift tag:.
- Spicy Salsa.
- Blend 2 tablespoons salsa mix with one 10 ounce can Mexican-style tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips.
- or you can use for a spread:.
- Salsa Spread.
- Blend 2 tablespoons salsa mix with 1 cup softened cream cheese. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
I tried this because I had never seen anything like this before and it sounded intriguing. I made a half recipe to try it out. First, I made the salsa using an off-brand "Rotel" that I bought for 25 cents a can. It made a very nice salsa with a good amount of heat for a very reasonable price. I served this with tortilla chips. Next I tried the version with cream cheese. For some reason, I expected to like this less, but I like the cream cheese version even better than the salsa version. I served this with Ritz crackers.Just the right amount of coolness from the cream cheese and heat from the mix. Both versions benefitted from advance preparation and the refrigerating for at least 8 hours for flavors to blend. Penzeys is a good place to buy dried cilantro in bulk.