Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the issue of March 2005 of Coup de Pouce. This is an healthy recipe.
Make and share this Salsa Meatloaf recipe from Food.com.
- 4 egg whites or 1⁄2 cup egg white substitute
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup homemade salsa or 1⁄2 cup store-bought salsa
- In a bol, whisk lightly egg whites. Add oatmeal, onion, zucchini, carrots, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme and pepper. Stir. Add ground beef and stir.
- On a greased baking sheet with sides, shape the beef mixture in a round loaf of 13 inches of lenght and 2 inches height. Cook in a preheated oven of 350 F for about 40 minutes or until meatloaf is golden. With a spoon, spread salsa on the meatloaf. Keep cooking for about 20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 170°F.
I cook for elderly parents, and knew this would be a hit for them with all of the wonderful veggies! I did cut the recipe in half, and cut back slightly on the garlic, otherwise made as written. My parents really enjoyed this, and have plent left over to make burritos for lunch tomorrow (Dad's idea!) Thanks Boomette! Made for Potluck Tag
Hubby and I both really enjoyed this...I made as posted with the exception of using a full pound of lean ground beef...this came out nice and firm with a real meatloaf taste...we really couldn't taste the veggies so this would be great to serve to the little ones...I did use a hot salsa because we enjoy the heat...I served it with mashed potatoes and peas...yum...thanks for posting it! :)
My boyfriend both liked the meatloaf, but feel we would love it with a couple of minor changes. I would halve the zucchini, onion, oatmeal, and carrots and add a bit of salsa into the meat mixture. We couldn't really taste the meat much, and wanted some of the salsa taste in the meat mixture. I'll definitely make this again with those changes.