Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was originally submitted by Mean Chef (IHHDRO). I adopted it after he left the site. My comments in my original review stated, "Although I didn't find this recipe here, I have made this salsa for several years. Due to variations of ingredients on hand, I sometimes make changes (and/or additions). However, this is a very good base recipe for fresh salsa. There is no need to change it; but we all like a little variety now and then." I am the designated salsa-maker among my friends, and this recipe never disappoints.
- 6 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 -5 fresh green chilies, seeded and finely chopped (use either jalapeno or serrano)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, chile, lime juice, oil and cilantro.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavours to blend.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Should be served the day it is made.
This salsa is absolutely fabulous! Very easy to make and everyone loved it. I made it mild this time (only used 3 jalapeno peppers) but next time I will spice it up a bit more. Great recipe, Mean. This will be made over and over again in this household! Thanks!
I've been experimenting with different salsas and I thought I had found the best....but now I KNOW I have found the best!! This is great stuff. Just Wonderful!!! Thanks Mean
Your basic salsa, as good as it gets. No need for the oil, though.