Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Salsa is never better than when made with fresh ripe summer tomatoes. From Martha Rose Shulman
Top Review by Dubainy
Excellent recipe with nice variations. Once secret I learned (cannot recall the source) is to dissolve the salt in the lemon or lime juice before you add it to the salsa. Try it - this simple step dramatically improves the flavor.
- 1⁄4 small red onion, minced and rinsed with cold water
- 1 lb fresh ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 -3 jalapeno peppers (seed them for a milder salsa) or 1 -3 serrano pepper, minced (seed them for a milder salsa)
- 4 -5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (or balsamic vinegar)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, toss together all the ingredients.
- Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes so that the flavors will blend and ripen.
- **Salsa with Avocado—to the above salsa, add 1 small peeled avocado, diced small.
- **Salsa with Black Beans—to the above salsa (or the salsa with avocado), add one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- **Salsa with Corn—steam the kernels from 1 ear fresh corn for 5 minutes (on or off the cob), then refresh with cold water, and add to the above salsa.