Recipe by Lavender Lynn
I got this from a coworker in Idaho, Karen Skeen. We have been making this for about 16 years. Over the last couple of years, it has been a joint project of my DH and mine. We prepare all the ingredients for 3 batches on Friday night. On Saturday we cook and can 2 batches, then finish up with 1 the last batch on Sunday.
Top Review by katie in the UP
I was about to comment on this recipe...and realized I never reviewed it! Last summer DH and I made 4 batches of Salsa we loved it! I cleaned all the veggies and tossed them in a high oven to char a bit before putting them in the food processor (most all the skin was removed). Delicious! Thank you for posting!!
- 4 quarts tomatoes (we prepare our own fresh)
- 4 green peppers
- 5 serrano peppers
- 5 jalapeno peppers
- 3 small yellow hot peppers
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 onion
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Dip tomatoes in hot water for 20 seconds then in ice cold water. Peel off skins. Cut into about 8 pcs. We then fill a quart jar full of tomatoes like for canning and then dump into large pan. We prepare 4 quarts worth for each batch.
- Chop up all veges except tomatoes in a food processor and put into large pan with tomatoes.
- Add the vinegar, brown sugar, and salt.
- Simmer over low heat for 3-4 hours until reach desired consistency.
- Stir often to keep from sticking and burning to bottom of pan.
- Can in pint sized jars by water bath method. Check your current canning instructions for length of time in water bath.