Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This salsa would be good with chips, on your eggs, or with any Mexican meal. Be careful of the vapor while the chiles are cooking because it will get ya!
- 4 -6 dried arbol chiles
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaf
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cut stems off chiles and cut open lengthwise; remove and discard seeds.
- In a small saucepan, bring chiles to a boil in water and then simmer for 10 minutes to soften. Keep your eye on this because you may need to add more water if it becomes dry.
- Place chiles and water in blender container with 1/4 of the tomatoes and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until tomatoes, cilantro and onion are finely chopped.
- Serve with chips or over any Mexican dish.
Good. Served over enchiladas.