Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I was doing Weight Watchers and the boys were home, I got really tired of fixing 3 sets of meals each night. When I came upon this recipe - I just didn't tell them this was WW and to this day they still don't know. When the boys come home now - this is one dish they will request. Super fast & easy to fix on work nights. 4 oz. = 4 WW points (without rice) *Note - in response to some reviews that experience the sauce being too runny or thin...extend the reduction time (after removing lid). It may take another 5-10 minutes to thicken and have the consistency you desire.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (your choice of heat)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Diet Coke (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ON THIS ITEM)
- 1 lime, juice of, fresh squeezed
- In 12 inch skillet, cook chicken over medium high heat in UNSEASONED pan (do NOT spray with PAM or add any oil or butter).
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chicken will stick a bit to skillet when turning but that is ok.
- Cook till just brown- you want a bit of color.
- Add the entire jar of Salsa and the can of Diet Coke.
- Reduce heat to medium low- and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid, turn chicken and continue to simmer until sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
- When ready to serve, squeeze juice from 1 fresh lime over the chicken.
- I serve this over yellow rice (I just add turmeric to my rice when cooking- adds nice bright yellow color!).
- Do not use regular Coke as this will turn out too sweet.
- I promise--you cannot taste the Diet Coke.
Wow, just made this and it was awesome. Didn't have a lot in the pantry and I usually do a chicken and sausage with a jar of salsa in the pressure cooker but no sausage today. I used drums since that's what I had, 24 ounces of medium salsa and diet Pepsi. You can taste the sweetness of the soda and that makes this dish different. I loved it. I"m glad I used 24 ounces of salsa since I like it a little more liquid over my rice.
This an awesome way to make the lowly chicken breast. Not sweet, no fat and lots of flavour. I only made half the recipe, as there is only the 2 of us. I think next time I won't reduce the sauce so much, so we have a bit more for the rice. The lime is a nice little flavour addition. :)
I loved this. I was busy so I put about 1/2 C of rice in the bottom of a dish and layered the chicken, salsa and diet coke over it. Then baked it all together. It was really good. Kind of sweet like a BBQ sauce but that could have been my salsa too. All I had was a black bean and corn salsa but it worked and I'll definitely keep this on hand for an easy dinner.