Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I was doing Weight Watchers and the boys were home, I got really tired of fixing 3 sets of meals each night. When I came upon this recipe - I just didn't tell them this was WW and to this day they still don't know. When the boys come home now - this is one dish they will request. Super fast & easy to fix on work nights. 4 oz. = 4 WW points (without rice) *Note - in response to some reviews that experience the sauce being too runny or thin...extend the reduction time (after removing lid). It may take another 5-10 minutes to thicken and have the consistency you desire.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (your choice of heat)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Diet Coke (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ON THIS ITEM)
- 1 lime, juice of, fresh squeezed
- In 12 inch skillet, cook chicken over medium high heat in UNSEASONED pan (do NOT spray with PAM or add any oil or butter).
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chicken will stick a bit to skillet when turning but that is ok.
- Cook till just brown- you want a bit of color.
- Add the entire jar of Salsa and the can of Diet Coke.
- Reduce heat to medium low- and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid, turn chicken and continue to simmer until sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
- When ready to serve, squeeze juice from 1 fresh lime over the chicken.
- I serve this over yellow rice (I just add turmeric to my rice when cooking- adds nice bright yellow color!).
- Do not use regular Coke as this will turn out too sweet.
- I promise--you cannot taste the Diet Coke.
Wow, just made this and it was awesome. Didn't have a lot in the pantry and I usually do a chicken and sausage with a jar of salsa in the pressure cooker but no sausage today. I used drums since that's what I had, 24 ounces of medium salsa and diet Pepsi. You can taste the sweetness of the soda and that makes this dish different. I loved it. I"m glad I used 24 ounces of salsa since I like it a little more liquid over my rice.
This really is OUTSTANDING! I am so glad I was adventurous enough to try this recipe. I was really worried about the diet soda in this recipe but you really can't taste it at all! It just adds a sweetness and not the aftertaste kind. The chicken turns out super tender too. Thank you so much for posting. This recipe is so easy yet so good. WW's give this a shot. You will not be sorry! Thanks again, QKF
EXELLENT!!! Had some friends over and served this over yellow rice as suggested, and it was a hit. I love how easy this is. I did brine my chicken for 2 hours first. I have found that it results in moister and more tender meat. :-) Koechin/Chef