Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A yummy recipe that I tweeked a little to my liking. Adapted from Paul Newman's Own website. Enjoy!
- 1 loaf french 9-grain bread, sliced in half
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild salsa (or medium or hot salsa to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (4 cheese blend)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup queso fresco
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, finely snipped
- 2 teaspoons scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lay sliced French bread cut side up onto a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine oil, cumin, and garlic powder; stir.
- Brush the seasoned oil mixture onto the cut side of both bread halves with a pastry brush. Spread salsa evenly on top of bread halves. Sprinkle the halves with the Mexican cheese and top with crumbled Parmesan cheese or queso fresco cheese. Place into 425*F. oven.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is good and crusty.
- While the bread is baking, prepare the relish.
- In a medium size bowl, mix avocados, lime juice, cilantro, scallions, garlic, celery salt, and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Remove the bread from the oven. Allow to cool a few minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, slice bread halves across into 2 inch strips.
- To serve put salsa bread strips on a nice plate or platter with avocado relish in a separate bowl. Enjoy!
Made without the avocado salsa (shame! avocado was not ripe... oh well) and it was STILL good! It does have a pronounced cumin flavor, so cut back on that if you are not crazy about it. Used queso fresco. Yum. Can't wait to make again with the salsa!
Terrific! Loved the olive oil/spice base for the salsa and the avocado relish was a great partner for this yummy cheese bread. This was a hit at our house - thanks for sharing!