Recipe by Julesong
It's the sliced poblano chilies combined with prepared salsa that give this chicken bake its great south-of-the-border taste. Dark green poblanos have the richest flavor and range from mild to medium to HOT.
Top Review by echo echo
Had dinner tonight with my sister and her husband and this was on the menu as the main dish. It came out very tender and tasty. The sauce was good, but did not thicken as we were expecting it to. The recipe did not say whether or not to cover the chicken while baking, and we chose to cover it. If we make it again, we'll try not covering it and see if the sauce thickens more that way. Still a lovely, flavorful meal.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 large poblano chiles, cut into thin strips
- 3⁄4 cup prepared salsa (mild or medium)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet for 3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add 4 chicken thigh skin side down.
- Cook 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Remove all but 1 tsp drippings from skillet.
- Add chilies and cook 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring until tender.
- Return chicken to skillet, stir in salsa and water.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rice.