Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
For gift giving - this salsa is hot but makes wonderful additions to baskets for the holidays. Recipe source: local newspaper
- 20 lbs tomatoes, cored, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups onions, chopped
- 16 hot chili peppers, chopped with the seeds (such as jalapeno, Thai or banana peppers)
- 4 green bell peppers, cored and chopped (or red bell peppers)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh cilantro, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, diced
- 7 cups white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 limes, juice and zest of
- In a large pot over high heat combine all ingredients and boil for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized jars.
- Place jars into boiling water in a hot water bath canner.
- Process for 15 minutes. Remove to a rack.
- Let cool on rack for 24 hours.
I only made half a batch, but this is good stuff! I used local hot Moroccan peppers and red peppers instead of green. We opened the first jar yesterday and had this with hummous and pita, delicious!