Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy salsa recipe using canned tomatoes. Great for making large batches!
- 1600 g chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 500 g shallots or 500 g red onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 limes, juice of
- 100 g chopped parsley (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons starch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- hot sauce (to taste)
- Chop onion and garlic in a food processor.
- Put them in a large soup pot.
- Add all other ingredients to the pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until thickened.
- While still very hot, ladle it into clean canning jars.
- Immediately screw the lids onto the jars and allow to cool completely (at least 12 hours).
OH MY!!! I canned this salsa back on 9-30-08. I was shocked to see I forgot to review this when I used a jar of it in another recipe. I made as written but used Clear Jell instead of starch. Clear Jell gives any food that needs thickening a nice clear appearance instead of the cloudy, like flour and corn starch gives food. My DH likes this salsa since I did not put any hot sauce it in. I'll continue making this recipe for him and the HOT ones for the rest of the family. Just watch that it does not scorch in the bottom of the pan as it will thicken food fast, keep stirring. We have really enjoyed this salsa and I will be making it again this season. Clear Jell can be purchased through Kitchencraft (1-800-776-0575) in Waterville, IA.