Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I got this from a neighbor, Sal Lacayo, a retired chef who still remembers how to cook. This one is not overly sweet, which is my number one complaint about most sweet potato casseroles. We really enjoyed this at our neighborhood ally parties.
- 5 lbs medium sweet potatoes
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, juice reserved
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup sugar (preferably honey)
- 1⁄4 lb butter (preferred) or 1⁄4 lb margarine
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-3/4" cubes.
- Spray a 9"x13"x2" Pyrex baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add potatoes and pineapple juice, tossing to coat.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake for 45 minutes, turning potatoes over half way through.
- Mash potatoes, butter, and sugar until just fairly smooth.
- Mix in pineapple, and return to Pyrex dish.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days.
- To serve, mix in ground cloves, and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle hot potatoes with coconut flakes, and return to oven until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes.