Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Salpicon de Choros (Smoked Mussel Salad) Mesquite chips
- 2 dozen mussels
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 large carrot
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cups corn, cooked
- 1 avocado
- 1⁄2 cup oil and lemon dressing with herbs (or to taste)
- 3 eggs, hard boiled
- Soak mesquite chips in water for a few hours; heat them in a large Dutch oven or heavy roaster.
- Meanwhile, scrub the mussels and place in a dish that fits inside the roaster.
- When the chips smoke, place the mussels on top, splash water around for steam, cover tightly and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave covered for 1 hour.
- Discard unopened mussels.
- Shred lettuce; scrape carrot, cut in juliennes and blanch; peel, seed and dice tomatoes; peel and dice avocado; peel and slice eggs.
- Mix mussels and vegetables, toss with dressing and le t stand for a few minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with egg slices.